Clogged drains can be a nightmare for homeowners. They always seem to happen at the most inopportune times and can be a real pain to clear. Once a drain becomes clogged, there is little else to do except use harsh chemical cleaners or to call a professional plumber.
Fortunately, keeping drains clear is a lot easier than you most people think, and by changing a few of our habits, we can keep our drains clear in most circumstances.
- Use a Strainer – One of the simplest ways to prevent clogs in your kitchen or tub is to use a strainer. Cheap and efficient, strainers trap large objects such as food and hair that are often the cause of slow and clogged drains.
- Put Grease in the Garbage – There is an old wives tale that if you run hot water while pouring grease down the drain it will prevent it from solidifying in the pipes. This is not the case, and pouring any kind of grease down your drains is a huge mistake. Allow your oils to solidify in the pan and throw it in the trash can.
- No Coffee Grounds – Coffee grounds may seem like no big deal, but they can back up quickly. If you are looking to be more eco-friendly, coffee grounds are great for mulch or compost. Otherwise, put them in the trash can.
- Run Hot Water – While this may seem simple, running hot water for a couple of minutes. This will help any grease buildups that were not caught as well as hard water deposits. It is also a good idea to boil some water every couple of weeks and pour it down the drain to really get it cleaned out.
- Flush Your Pipes with Baking Soda & Vinegar – If you are really looking to prevent buildups, pour a half a cup of baking soda down your drain followed by a half a cup of vinegar. The combination works as a natural cleaner which will help eat away at any tough buildups.
The above suggestions are the best ways we know to keep your pipes, but even with the best preventative measures, clogs can still happen. If you have a clogged drain and cannot get it cleared, contact Mock Plumbing today! We can fix any plumbing problem and help you understand the cause so you can prevent it from happening again in the future. For residents in Baton Rouge, Prairieville, and the surrounding communities, call Mock Plumbing at 225-317-1992 or fill out our contact form!